Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense

Originally posted by hahaoopz,

Implement follow defense as well as limiting mixups.

TL;DR: limit their options for scoring. Control them and manipulate how they are going to attempt to score. Don't let them control you and how you defend. Goes for every character matchup. there is no reason to hard read. Follow their movement and stay close to them. If their feet leaves the ground, they are shooting. Make sure to use the most out of tap dashing or you lose out on so much defense potential, and also dash in straight lines and never curve it.
    • For an example of follow defense, if the guy loves to drive, stand still when they start the drive stance then start moving your stick towards the direction they choose. Usually you'd want to tap dash to keep up without using too much stamina. Tap dashing is considered a full commitment maneuver so you want to make sure they really are moving in that direction and won't cross up. If you aren't tap dashing on defense often, you are losing a lot of potential. Always dash in straight lines and do your best not to curve the dash path.Tap dashing vs just walking can make a huge difference in lowering shot percentage. A good test of follow defense is being able to follow Carolina during her backrollturn all the way. Tap dashing, in my experience, is the only way to keep up with Joey's pull up jumper/side hop step mix up. Tap dash to follow his drive, and holding dash if he decides to side hop step.
    • Another form of follow defense is sticking to the character as they move around, or pretty much like holding onto their ass. They become vulnerable to bumping into you, therefore, restricting their movements. However, you need to have a better understanding of blocking, meaning learn your sweet spot/distance for blocking shots.Each character has a different distance for max range block. Once you learn it, no matter where you are, all you need is to dash to that spot and jump. it seems like you kinda get the idea of following, but you need to follow and not by moving ahead of time with predictions. Anticipate and don't react. Move afterwards while keeping in mind their movement options. If they are forcing you to guess, you already lost in defense. If you are forced to react, you already lost half the battle. Just follow since you have plenty of time to keep up and block their shots or at least reduce it. And be ready to tap your dash button.
    • An example for limiting mixups would be to reduce their space of movement. Your goal of defense is to make them take the lowest percent shot possible; while offense goal is to take the highest possible percent shot. So closing distance to them would already lower their shot, therefore, you'd be at advantage since they cannot move forward or shoot unless they have the stats to force the shot. I want to emphasize that being in front of them allows you to force them to walk to the side or back since you closed access to the way forward. So with that concept in mind, if a person loves to quick change or drive, you could guard one side of them. So if you face-up on their right, they are forced to drive left.
    • It gets even more complex when you include your other two teammates since they also help control space and limit options. Say you deny the Kim's movement, your teammates are heavily guarding passing lanes, and all she can do is shoot, pump fake or pass. This comes down to rock paper scissors. However, you and your team are forcing her to have only one option. If she passes, the passing lanes being heavily guarded, would just result in an Intercept. If she pump fakes, she lowers her shot percentage even more and risks the ball from getting stolen. So obviously she can only try to shoot the ball, which if you anticipate that based off her available options you'd have been ready to block it.
    • I also want to mention that the game is not played on a 3D plane. It's played on a 2D plane. Meaning even if it looked like your hand blocked the ball, it probably did not. Everything is based off where you are standing on the ground. So you can actually remove the character models and play without them. The models just tell you what each character is doing (I.e. Pump faking, shooting, pull up, etc.) or pretty much just indicators.
    • With that concept in mind, your attention should be at the feet of all the characters to know where they are actually positioned. This is crucial to learning how to block, as well as intercepting, since you want to be lined up right between the player and the basket to block. So line up your feet between their feet and the basket. This is also important for picking up loose balls as well, especially the ones that go flying everywhere. The ball, although in air, is technically a dot on the floor moving on the said 2D plane. This is why I usually have an easy time intercepting with Helena because I position with the feet. The basket is also on a 2D plane. If you go on the Halloween map, there is a circle on the floor under the basket. That circle represents where the basket is actually positioned relative to the 2D plane.
    • The same rule applies to stealing. You aren't actually making contact with the ball with your hand, but rather you are grabbing the ball's position with your hitbox of your steal during your active frames. That's why I believe it's better to include steal speed stats to shorten your start up frames and reach the active frames of your steal animation quicker.
    • Someone may mention manual blocking due to the over exaggerated animation. Blocking without manual block would be where your feet is positioned, while manual block simply moves that block position to a direction. So if block represents the circle around your feet, then manual block is just moving that circle in a direction you chose from your original circle position.
    • However there is an exception to the 2D concept, which are things that involve height stats, such as rebound, blocking, and dive catch(rebounding). I just assume the game just has its own calculations for that, such as if player A in position relative to the ball has enough height Stat to successfully block/rebound. I really don't consider the ball as a "projectile" entity in freestyle.
Working...
X